1. Music that comes on when you go to a site. And you can’t find where to turn it off. So you’re left listening to something that the blog owner may love, but you find torturous. Worse is when you do turn it off, but go to another link on that blog and it starts again. And even worse is when the music suddenly comes on and scares the crap out of you. I don’t want to have to turn the sound off on my computer, but sometimes it’s all I can think to do to get rid of the noise. Now if they played music I liked…..
2. Bitching. My God, some people can get in all out wars over a person’s point of view. Makes me wonder if blogging turns us from mature, kind, caring, sharing adults into bratty three year olds fighting in a sand pit.
3. Unsolicited advice. If I am told, “you should do this ……,” or “you won’t like that …..,” or “don’t think that, it’s wrong,” then you can bet that I will do just what the advice tells me not to. If someone wants to suggest something to me, suggest it. Don’t tell me how to live/think/feel etc.
4. Maybe this is part of number three – people assuming that they know me better than I know me. I barely know me, so how can you know me so well? Hmmm…what a well structured sentence that last one was.
5. People leaving a link on my Thursday Thirteen but not a comment. Is it so hard? Those of you who do this, you know who you are. And I do too.
6. The word verification when you leave a comment on some blogs. Not only can these be really long, but they’re often in a font that is virtually illegible, so you’re bound to get it wrong because you cant tell if “vv” is two v’s or one w. Why can’t it just be the same basic font all the time?
7. Ads. Okay, some bloggers make money out of their blog through ads. But do they have to have ads that pop up all over the screen all the time?
8. Blogs that take forever to load. I learnt my lesson a few months ago (thank you Blog Olympics Training Camp) – reduce the number of entries on a page and it loads heaps quicker. Heaps quicker… yes, English is my strong suit.
9. Grossness without prior warning. I don’t want to have images of drunken people in all manner of embarrassing positions burning holes into my brain when I least expect it. Let me know there is foulness ahead (and maybe indicate the type and degree of foulness) and let me decide whether to proceed or not through the rest of the post.
10. Stolen images. If you’re gonna pinch a picture off the web and post it, it should be referenced. That way I’ll realise that your photography skills rank down there with mine (poor, but I have a good camera) and the person/site that took the picture gets the credit for it. Fair?
11. To join in with the one above, when I find that someone has stolen something from my blog without letting me know first. Which is kind of flattering in a way. Most people ask or let me know before they paste a post into their site and that’s cool. Let me know and I’ll give you the okay, but don’t steal my words or my images without telling me. This statement makes it look like I’m super-popular and it happens to me all the time. It’s actually only happened a few times that I know of. And these people have not made millions from my genius. But if it ever does, LOOK OUT!!
12. Time wasting. Reading blogs makes time run away from me. And before I know it, I’ve spent an hour sitting in front of the computer. This is especially painful when it’s a gorgeous day outside and I could have spent that time going for a swim. Or, more likely, going to the beach and sitting on my backside and watching people fitter than me go for a swim. But that’s not really an annoying feature of a blog, rather a sign that the blog owner has a fan in me.
13. The fact that the blogs that I love reading all the time just don’t get updated often enough. But maybe that one is my problem.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, please use the auto-link. And comments are always much appreciated. Only if you leave a comment will I visit your Thirteen and leave a comment in return....