31 May, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

Am being super-efficient this week. Have my TT already written - it was done yesterday. And it's only Wednesday today (almost Thursday). This wasn't done as a result of any forward thinking - I was reading a couple of blogs that were REALLY annoying me - it was the awful music that I couldn't switch off that gave me the inspiration....
Thirteen things about blogs that bug me. And #3 is about unsolicited advice, so my exception to that rule is this: don't do any of these things. Please? Well, it's your blog, do what you will...


1. Music that comes on when you go to a site. And you can’t find where to turn it off. So you’re left listening to something that the blog owner may love, but you find torturous. Worse is when you do turn it off, but go to another link on that blog and it starts again. And even worse is when the music suddenly comes on and scares the crap out of you. I don’t want to have to turn the sound off on my computer, but sometimes it’s all I can think to do to get rid of the noise. Now if they played music I liked…..

2. Bitching. My God, some people can get in all out wars over a person’s point of view. Makes me wonder if blogging turns us from mature, kind, caring, sharing adults into bratty three year olds fighting in a sand pit.

3. Unsolicited advice. If I am told, “you should do this ……,” or “you won’t like that …..,” or “don’t think that, it’s wrong,” then you can bet that I will do just what the advice tells me not to. If someone wants to suggest something to me, suggest it. Don’t tell me how to live/think/feel etc.

4. Maybe this is part of number three – people assuming that they know me better than I know me. I barely know me, so how can you know me so well? Hmmm…what a well structured sentence that last one was.

5. People leaving a link on my Thursday Thirteen but not a comment. Is it so hard? Those of you who do this, you know who you are. And I do too.

6. The word verification when you leave a comment on some blogs. Not only can these be really long, but they’re often in a font that is virtually illegible, so you’re bound to get it wrong because you cant tell if “vv” is two v’s or one w. Why can’t it just be the same basic font all the time?

7. Ads. Okay, some bloggers make money out of their blog through ads. But do they have to have ads that pop up all over the screen all the time?

8. Blogs that take forever to load. I learnt my lesson a few months ago (thank you Blog Olympics Training Camp) – reduce the number of entries on a page and it loads heaps quicker. Heaps quicker… yes, English is my strong suit.

9. Grossness without prior warning. I don’t want to have images of drunken people in all manner of embarrassing positions burning holes into my brain when I least expect it. Let me know there is foulness ahead (and maybe indicate the type and degree of foulness) and let me decide whether to proceed or not through the rest of the post.

10. Stolen images. If you’re gonna pinch a picture off the web and post it, it should be referenced. That way I’ll realise that your photography skills rank down there with mine (poor, but I have a good camera) and the person/site that took the picture gets the credit for it. Fair?

11. To join in with the one above, when I find that someone has stolen something from my blog without letting me know first. Which is kind of flattering in a way. Most people ask or let me know before they paste a post into their site and that’s cool. Let me know and I’ll give you the okay, but don’t steal my words or my images without telling me. This statement makes it look like I’m super-popular and it happens to me all the time. It’s actually only happened a few times that I know of. And these people have not made millions from my genius. But if it ever does, LOOK OUT!!

12. Time wasting. Reading blogs makes time run away from me. And before I know it, I’ve spent an hour sitting in front of the computer. This is especially painful when it’s a gorgeous day outside and I could have spent that time going for a swim. Or, more likely, going to the beach and sitting on my backside and watching people fitter than me go for a swim. But that’s not really an annoying feature of a blog, rather a sign that the blog owner has a fan in me.

13. The fact that the blogs that I love reading all the time just don’t get updated often enough. But maybe that one is my problem.


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, please use the auto-link. And comments are always much appreciated. Only if you leave a comment will I visit your Thirteen and leave a comment in return....



27 Comments:

Blogger ... Paige said...

Here is the link to my...
oh never mind, I don't do 13.
So how ya doin' & the family. Hope this comment makes up for some of the others that forget to say hey ta ya.

7:15 am  
Blogger Alice said...

Tanya, Tanya, look, I'm leaving a COMMENT, but then, when have I ever been short of a comment?

I agree with all 13 points but wouldn't have had the courage to say so. Such a wimp.

I think the changing font in Word Verification is just to make it so much harder for automatic spammers to read, so I'll accept a little difficulty on my part for that outcome.

7:59 am  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I agree with your #1 whole heartedly, it is very irritating and I can't concentrate on what I'm reading. I'm probably guilty of #3, but will try to do better.

Your mum has explained the reason for word verification, but if you don't like your first choice of letters just put any letter in the box & click login and you will get another choice of letters. Oh, NO...there I go again with advise...So sorry.

2:26 pm  
Blogger MaR said...

Well said! I don't link and run but sometimes I have had problems with word verification (like not getting one? it has happened to me and cannot comment!) And I learned your nr 8 with the Blog Olympics, too. I think we were the slowest in the net, lol! happy TT, mine is up :)

6:54 pm  
Blogger Norma said...

I'm with you on the music thing. Drives me crazy--and sometimes I can't back out fast enough.

A great list, and one with which most can identify.

Thanks for visiting my TT.

7:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good tips for operating a decent blog. I hate being forced to listen to someone else's music when I go to their site. Also, good idea on the number of posts=time spent page-loading.

8:58 pm  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Ahhh....from your lips to blogger's ears! Well said!

9:13 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Agree with all of these, but particularly the music one. Especially when at work, as I normally am when browsing the blogs.

9:46 pm  
Blogger Wystful1 said...

I don't like ones that seem to come across as they know best and try to be subtle and tell you how to think or what to believe in!

But that's me.

Hope my Blog loads fast enough?!! *spooked now*

My T 13 is up

10:08 pm  
Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

HA! Now I'm afraid for you to check out my blog. ;)

I'm right there with you on most of those, though. I need to update my favorites, and yes, I wish some of THEM would update more, too!

(Next I'm typing out the word verification: "ssbprpcz"...)

10:19 pm  
Blogger Moogie said...

I'd have to agree with most of those 13 in your list. Some of them are really annoying. Great job!

My TT is up!

10:23 pm  
Blogger twiga92 said...

Don't you think you should be less annoyed? Just kidding! Couldn't resist after #3 and #4. I hate that too. People telling me what to do irritates the %#$&* out of me. Thanks for sharing!

10:59 pm  
Blogger Pixie said...

Now wondering how many things on your list have I done to annoy you. Hmmmmmmmmmm! I'm with you on a lot of things on your list. Although I'm sure I'm guilty of a few. Loved your list.

Oh, it usually takes me 2 attempts on the word verification thingys....... I'm either blind or there's something wrong with my keyboard! HA!

11:15 pm  
Blogger Kelly said...

I'm with you on #1. I can't stand it when I got a site and the music just keeps going and going. It's hard to sit and actually read the blog. I normally get out of it and move on.

Great T13 list. Mine is up.

11:16 pm  
Blogger Shalee said...

Yes to the music thing! I don't want to have music go off, especially if I'm trying to catch a few while on a break from work.

And 12 happens to me all the time.

11:29 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I try not to do any of those, except word verification (don't want spam). I agree with you on those things, especially blogs that just do nothing, but complain. I really try to stay positive and people that go on and on about their issues just bring me down. So, I agree! My list is up!

1:13 am  
Blogger Geggie said...

Hey there! I hate the super long word verification too. Sometimes, I just give up!

1:32 am  
Blogger Melli said...

Hmmmm... #1 is my ultimate gripe too. If you want music on your site that's fine, but it should definately come with an off switch. (lol - my TRUE feelings are sound should be outlawed on the web!)

And I no longer care if people link and don't comment -- I only return visits to the people who DO comment! (of course, if I visited first and commented, then it really IS rude if they visit and don't comment!) But then... there just are rude people in the world... *sigh*

1:40 am  
Blogger Laci said...

I HATE autoplay music with a passion!

To expand on #5, I hate it when people link to their site when they're NOT a TT participant! GRR! :)

Happy Thursday! :)

2:01 am  
Blogger Sonya said...

I can't stand for people to add their link to my T13, but not comment either. Most of everything you wrote that annoys you also annoys me. I don't mind unsolicited advice though. I know alot of people can't stand it. Thanks for visiting my T13. Can't wait to see your wonderful future post. Have a great day!

2:10 am  
Blogger Hysterectomommy said...

The comments thing bug me as well. Yesterday I was so paranoid because I was NOT able to leave any comments on blogger blogs and I felt this need to go back late last night to see if I could actually comment at the end of the day. Never did though.

2:49 am  
Blogger Laura said...

i hope i am not too guilty of any of these.
i'm a selfish blogger. i blog for my own entertainment and outlet but a few , very few seem to be along for the ride and for that i am humbled and inspired.
my tt is up.
hey what does that word verification thingie below say? i can't make it out!
j/k

3:02 am  
Blogger Brooke said...

I've done a few of these things--I'm still learning. Thanks for teaching me. Thanks for visiting my TT too.

3:52 am  
Blogger Socks, Abby, Blackie, Dexter and Bonnie said...

I am the 29th on the list, making the 30th comment...

Your list sounds like my pet peeves list. I absolutely hate music that comes on when the site is opened. I blog alot at night while the rest of my house is sleeping...I just hate that.

Word verification...I cant tell you how many times I mis-type the supid thing and have to try again...having said that, I have to check my cats site to make sure it is turned off, I cant remember if I solved that problem.

I too, hate grossness. I purposely click the "all ages" or click off the "adult content. I dont want to see that stuff...

I used to have a little paragraph at the top of my album that pretty much said "Dont steal my pictures" I found that was being ignored by some, so I put my name on almost all the pictures I have in the album. I have a new gallery and need to figure out how to add my little "hands off" speach.

my list is up

4:45 am  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I am so in agreement with your list! I hate link and runs. I hate the fact that I have to keep my speakers turned off while I surf so I don't have to listen to music on blogs. Word verification drives me crazy.

The thing I really can't stand though, is blogs that take forever to load. I live in the boonies and since they don't have high speed here yet, I am forced to do all of my surfing on dial up - even Thursday Thirteen surfing. Slow loading blogs make me want to rip my hair out - and trust me - I would not be cute bald!

12:48 pm  
Blogger MaR said...

My black sandals made a post today ;)

6:05 am  
Blogger Shash said...

#1 is my pet peeve too.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!!

Shash

10:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home