27 April, 2006

I was going to write about thirteen things about waiting for a friend to give birth. I even got to number 12. Then I thought, that's her story to tell (but she doesn't have a blog) and I should come up with something else. Ummmm. How about Thirteen things I have done for this baby already - and it's not born yet. Nor is it mine. (See previous posts if you're confused). By the way, my friend said her waters broke yesterday, but the doctor disagreed. He said that the leakage was backwaters. WHAT THE HELL ARE BACKWATERS??? I think they just invent terms. She got her membranes stripped today, so things should be moving along now. Or soon...
  1. I have made it two quilts. I'm not really happy with either of them, but have run out of time to make a third.
  2. I have made it four burp cloths. They're cute. Too cute for a baby to puke on, but that's okay.
  3. I have bought it a book on baby massage. That is aimed at the baby getting the massage, not giving it.
  4. I have been dragged to baby shops all around Townsville by my friend, because her partner refused to go. I should have refused, too.
  5. I have given vehement disapproval over some shockers of names and the child should thank me one day for that alone.
  6. I have promised to show it's mum how to put a cloth nappy on it (they'll only use disposables in the hospital). And my friend has never held a baby, let alone changed a nappy.
  7. I have had two sleepless nights, waiting for action that never eventuated
  8. I have taken it's mother swimming on several occasions as it's the only exercise she can get now.
  9. I have done two belly casts of the baby's mother and neither of them worked (number two is still in progress). Always use a belly kit.
  10. I have agreed to be there for the baby's arrival. I have agreed to stay there no matter how grossed out I get. I have agreed to hide how grossed out I am (if I am).
  11. I have agreed to miss a day of work to be at the birth.
  12. I have the list of phone numbers to call the families (all over the world) while the new family bond. Though I think the news would be better coming from the new Dad. Maybe that one will change at the time.
  13. I am seriously hoping that this birth does not change my resolve about never wanting children because I just don't want them (reasons are many). Okay, that one isn't really something I've done for the baby, but I'm out of ideas.
    ...

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, please use the auto-link. And comments are always much appreciated. Only if you leave a comment will I visit your Thirteen and leave a comment in return.
...
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants


25 Comments:

Blogger MaR said...

Never heard of backwaters...but I gave birth almost 18 years ago so I am not ajour! I love other people's babies, hope your friend has a quick delivery. It sounds like you have been very busy getting ready for this arrival. Happy Thursday, my TT is up!

5:55 pm  
Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

You are a true friend!

My T13 is up, too! ;)

9:56 pm  
Blogger Uisce said...

what a great friend you are!!

10:55 pm  
Blogger Urban Mummy said...

You're a great friend! I've a baby due in October, want to be my friend? *grin*

11:05 pm  
Blogger Carmen said...

Yes, the young one will thank you when they don't have a name like Horrace or something. (Uh, oh. Hope the name isn't Horrace)

11:15 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow......very impressive and so unselfish of you. A true friend and a blessed baby.

My T T is published

11:16 pm  
Blogger Joan said...

What a friend! And I agree -- I sometimes think the docs just make up terminology!!

My 13 are also posted.

11:26 pm  
Blogger Melzie said...

Awww- you're so sweet! And she's never held a baby? Wow! But then again with my kiddo, even though I was babysitting queen, I freaked over holding him. LOL! Oh-- I'm sure the quilts are lovely!!!

11:50 pm  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I wish I knew how to make a quilt. My TT is up.

12:45 am  
Blogger Amanda said...

You are a good friend to help out that much!

My 13 are up.

12:57 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an awesome friend you are! Awww..the birth of a baby is such an amazing time-your friend is so blessed to have you be a part of it! My list is up!

12:59 am  
Blogger amy karp | PHOTOGRAPHY said...

why is there not a book on how babies can give massages...now that would be a great read! sounds like you are a very caring friend for this expectant mom.

my T13 are up - stop by and say hi :)

1:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was preg with my first I had a pinhole leak. They kept telling me I didn't and that the baby was kicking my bladder. Hello...I KNEW where that liquid was coming from! After he was born the Dr. says "Did you know you had a pinhole leak?" DUH!

2:17 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

You certainly sound prepared!

2:57 am  
Blogger Hysterectomommy said...

What a great friend you are!!!

3:28 am  
Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

You and the baby sound destined to be just as good of friends as you and the mommy to be.

Thanks for stopping by my TT. Happy Thursday!

5:51 am  
Blogger YellowRose said...

You sound like a wonderful friend! And you won't be grossed out...it's a wonderful thing! ;)

Happy Thursday!

6:57 am  
Blogger Amy said...

I have never heard of backwaters. Seriously, do they make these things up? You seem like a very good friend to her!!! She should feel very lucky! Mine are up as well!

7:26 am  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Tanya, you are a true friend and remember as this child grows the need for new and better quilts grows. My TT is up cause you showed me that this is fun. Be Blessed!

9:20 am  
Blogger Norma said...

That's a lot of effort for a baby of a friend. How nice she has a friend like you.

My TT is up.

10:38 am  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Backwaters???? I've given birth to four children and I've never heard of backwaters...Must be a something new.

Your friend is so lucky to have a friend like you...You have done so much for your friend and I'm sure she appreciates everything that you do.

I don't think you will be grossed out and you'll be witnessing a miracle...something not everyone gets to do.

12:25 pm  
Blogger Sherri said...

awe! I have a friend expecting soon, so I KNOW what you're feeling:)

...my list is up:)

1:19 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Hope all is ok and the baby grows up to know how lucky it is to have someone like you looking out for it.

My TT is up now.

1:13 am  
Blogger WendyAs said...

That is going to be one warm baby with all those quilts. You can always do a third one after it is born. Backwater?? I will ask my sister-in-law about it. She was a mid wife for almost 30 years. Certainly she should have heard of it. Good luck... birthing can be a real interesting event.

8:14 pm  
Blogger Val said...

Yes, I agree with Carmen, you've done very well if you can help your friend's child avoid silly names, "normal" names with silly spelling, names where you can't tell if the child is male or female. Hey, isn't the baby due by now???

3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home