22 March, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Things about Cyclone Larry that pissed me off.

I live in Townsville. We caught the edge of the cyclone which means, thankfully, it was all talk and no action for us. Damage was minimal. I am ever so lucky. And thankful. And sorry for the people further north who bore the brunt of the storm.

1. The wind and rain. They started pretty lightly in the afternoon while I was playing tennis. It put me off my serve (which sucks at the best of times).

2. The cyclone panic that hit the shops. People scrambling for ice cream is DUMB! What good is ice cream when you have no electricity for five days???

3. The Irish, idiot neighbour who didn't believe there would be a cyclone (and was to make $300 from bets if he was right) so didn't pack away all his shit in the backyard. Joke's on him - his (tarpulin - he's renovating) roof blew away.

4. The anticipation of the predicted four metre storm surge that would flood my house.

5. The people who suggested I go stay at their house because their house wouldn't flood and mine would and I'd lose everything anyway. Forget the fact that my car would be out in the open and could have been crushed by trees, roofs, flying chickens (though not sure that the chickens would crush a car, but you get my drift). Okay, so yes, the people were well-meaning, just very pessimistic.

6. The people at work who thought a little flooding shouldn't keep me from work. There was no flooding, but I didn't go to work.

7. The devastation that Larry left. I think everyone in this region now knows of someone who has lost EVERYTHING.

8. The bananas. Are all gone. For at least a year.

9. So is a huge amount of sugar cane. And rambutans. And lychees. Oh, the lychees, I miss them already. And heaps of other tropical fruits...

10. The petrol stations that increased their fuel prices by 10 cents per litre from Saturday. Trust the petrol companies to start rubbing their hands together greedily in the face of others' misfortune.

11. The fact that Larry made landfall near Innisfail and Mission Beach, which are gorgeous places. There are many other areas not too far away that it could have destroyed and there wouldn't have been nearly the amount of devastation. Does that sentence make sense? Does it matter?

12. The fact that the Bruce Highway is flooded again and the government STILL won't do anything about it. We are not a developing country, but sometimes I think we are when, every time it rains up here, the highway gets cut by flood waters. This is the tropics. We have a wet season. Which means rain. And the highway is the only direct link between the towns in the north. Why do the pathetic decision making government people neglect us and refuse to fix that road so that a little rain does not leave us stranded?

13. Cyclone Wati. Just lingering about 500km off our coast. Intensifying. Heading south, so they say. Hopefully, not to be as big an asshole as Larry was.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

To save time, I am doing the auto-link thing this week (if it works). Please leave comments also (please, please...). I will visit your T13's too. Oh, and thanks to Kimmy for sharing how to access the auto-link thing (technical speak there). You're great!



32 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Hi Tanta, good list on what would also piss me off about Larry and his kin.

9:09 am  
Blogger Val said...

10. The petrol stations that increased their fuel prices by 10 cents per litre from Saturday. Trust the petrol companies to start rubbing their hands together greedily in the face of others' misfortune.

This one would make me the most pissed off. Oh wait, no it's ok, it's just a coincidence that the price of crude oil went up just as Larry was hitting... yeah right.

What makes me happy: your correct use of the apostrophe in the word "others'". That is a vanishing skill.

A goal for 2006 is to join your Thursday 13, Tanya. But not yet.

10:07 am  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Very good post. Hope the road eventually gets fixed and the petrol prices are the same over here...they rise minutes after a disaster is announced.

Our petrol prices rise sometimes for no apparent reason by 20 cents & then drop back down the next day, but never drop by the whole amount of 20cents.

And yes, that doesn't make any sense buying lots of ice cream.

1:33 pm  
Blogger MaR said...

Glad to hear you and your family didn't get hurt. People buying ice-cream on times like that?? that's strange, to say the least! My TT is up

6:52 pm  
Blogger Norma said...

What a storm. Flooded out highways and ruined crops mean he is a visitor who will over stay his "welcome" (although no one wanted him in the first place).

Thanks for visiting my 13.

8:27 pm  
Blogger Carmen said...

Well, I'm glad that you're ok. I posted a little shout out to all you Aussies yesterday. I know it was scary, we're no stranger to hurricanes here. Except here we don't make a run on ice cream, it's milk and toilet paper. Ha. My list is up http://carmenhasgonetoplaid.blogspot.com/

10:53 pm  
Blogger Valerie said...

Glad you are ok, I can only imagine how scary a cyclone can be.

11:21 pm  
Blogger Melzie said...

Glad you're safe and sound though. :) When you said cyclone- I was thinking tornadoes, but after reading some more, realized it's hurricanes. Familiar with both-- don't like either one..

12:16 am  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

Great idea for a list! I've never experienced a hurricane. My TT is up now too!

12:21 am  
Blogger Leesa said...

Wow..quite the list!

1:16 am  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Wow. I'm glad you're safe and that your home didn't flood. Very interesting list. Truly. I was inches away from the screen and holding my breath. Like that would help you somehow ;)

Do you like the auto-link thingy? It's great, isn't it?! (And you're welcome!)

1:32 am  
Blogger Jen said...

Man, that stuff would annoy me, too! I'm glad you're OK!

Everytime we have a blizzard here, people SKI TO THE STORE, and they show them on the news buying stuff like Cheetos. Yeah, they're needy...

Thanks for stopping by!

1:54 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, we have no bananas?!? That is so sad! Hope everything gets back to normal for you real soon. (Thanks for stopping by, too.)

1:54 am  
Blogger -tnchick- said...

I didn't even know about it. Amazing the things i miss because I don't watch TV or read the news online. :/

My 13 is posted... thanx for visiting.

1:59 am  
Blogger Megan said...

I feel your pain! I'm in South Florida and had to live for 10 days without electricity last November after Hurricane Wilma hit. Those things are a bitch. I'm glad you faired well.

2:49 am  
Blogger lisa said...

I think calling a hurricane 'Larry' is kind of silly...

2:54 am  
Blogger Lena said...

Oh, this sucks. So sorry. Loev teh rationale behind a)stocking up on ice cream (WTH?) and b)urging you to drive your car into danger. Nice.

Why did the loss of bananas make me saddest?

I hope the repairs are quick and thorough. My thoughts - with you!

3:22 am  
Blogger Master Enigma said...

I am glad you are safe and well.

I appreciatted your 13 very much. Hang in there I have been through two hurricanes and several tornados in my life.

and my 13 is busy boarding up windows over at http://akaenigma.blogspot.com/

3:26 am  
Blogger Kelly said...

I am so sorry about this.
I really hope no repeats come your way. Ugh. So sad for you right now.

4:20 am  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

So glad you are alright. I heard there was 180 mph winds...having battled hurricanes most of my life I can relate to your list!

4:44 am  
Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

I'm so sorry about everything that has happened! I have been thinking about you guys. I hope normalcy, in some form, comes sooner rather than later for you. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my TT.

5:15 am  
Blogger YellowRose said...

So sorry friend! I've gone through hurricanes in Texas and I know what it's like to sit through those and the aftermath, it's a nightmare. Praying that Wati stays far away!

My TT is up!

5:43 am  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

I hope everything gets back to normal soon. Take care. Stacie

9:23 am  
Blogger ... Paige said...

dAnd there ya have it. In a nice little 13 nutshell.

9:26 am  
Blogger Joan said...

Sounds a lot like predictions of snow in Georgia! People rush the stores to "stock up" on bread and milk like they're going to be housebound for a month!

Thanks for coming by my blog.

10:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow,is a cyclone like a hurricane?

11:15 am  
Blogger WendyWings said...

I am glad you were not directly affected more badly but so sorry for those that did lose everything :(
It is all so surreal.

12:09 pm  
Blogger Jane said...

I am glad you faired well. I hope the cyclone off shore stays well away.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love meeting people from all over the world.

12:42 pm  
Blogger Mama Kelly said...

we get the nonsensical mad dash for ice cream when a hurricaine is coming

my 13 is up

http://mamakellysmusings.blogspot.com

1:03 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that Tanya. Glad to see you're still blogging.

1:06 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm so sorry! :( What a traumatic ordeal.

9:15 pm  
Blogger kristarella said...

Wow! You are the first Australian blogger I've come across (except for people I know). Hope everything dries out quickly. Hope we get so bananas up and growing soon!
My parents livein a place where the major roads flood. It's so silly, they have "flod plains" next to the worst parts, I can't see that they do much though since you can't drive through the water.

6:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home