19 September, 2006

The day has arrived

I decided that there are entirely too few public holidays in this country, so I remedied that by making Monday my very own public (private) holiday. And first stop on my day off was the Grand Opening of Townsville's newest Spotlight store. It seems that my little holiday caught on before I knew that the word had got out - and everyone else was celebrating the same way. At the same time. In the same store. I knew it would be bad before I left home. Then when I saw people directing traffic waaaay before I got to the store, I knew it would be worse. But I was ready. It was my day off and I had all the time in the world. Just as well....

This was taken just at the entrance. Most of the store was just one big queue. And really, they didn't have that much on sale. Oh, they had pillows for half price, and rugs for 60% off, and dinner sets for something stupid. None of which I needed. I walked ever so slowly through the massive store (I would defy anyone to move quickly, though many tried) drinking in the things that I appreciated about this Spotlight store compared to all others. Joy number 1: It was clean. I couldn't see a spilled drink or ball of fluff anywhere. The carpet was unstained. And the shelves were freshly painted and glowing. Joy number 2: I was offered a trolley by one of the dozens of staff working that day. I must have looked a sight carrying two bolts of fabric, two pillows and a book. I gratefully accepted said trolley and (here is where the joyous part comes) it moved where I wanted it to move. With minimal force. To wheel a trolley where I didn't have to aim it at a 45 degree angle to where I wanted it to go was just heavenly.

I made my selection oh so carefully. I did two laps of the store before I was satisfied that I had what I wanted to purchase and I wouldn't find any other "must have items" anywhere (that day). I grabbed a magazine that I had no intention of buying. And then I happily settled into the 45 minute queue that snaked around the store. I chatted with some other people in the queue. I smirked at the men who were dragged into the store and didn't have enough backbone to say they'd rather eat glass than go to Spotlight's opening. I tutted at the heavily pregnant woman who insisted on chatting with friends in the middle of the aisle with a full trolley, a double stroller containing two screaming, pissed off infants and curtain rods spread out in all directions. I didn't say anything, just thought to myself, "have some courtesy lady and get out of the way. And consider birth control!"

This picture depicts a surprising calm in contrast to the picture above. Make no mistake, this was but a brief lull in the patchworking chaos. And if I had recorded video, the noise would have hurt your ears. But look, look, look - floor to ceiling (well, about 4 metres or so - the ceiling extends another 15 metres, I'd say) quilt fabric. Yum, yum, yum. All colour coordinated and a much greater improvement that the pathetic supply they had at the old store. And not hideously expensive, either (though I am still banned from buying too much until I do something about what I have unfinished.

Speaking of which:

This was a log cabin quilt top. Which I hated and tore apart after I had finished piecing it together. It's a series of 9-patch and 25-patch blocks (as you can plainly see). It's in flannel and is about 1m by 1.2m. I'm going to use bright blue flannel on the back (I couldn't match any of these colours). And I'll finish it before it gets too hot to quilt up here. I hope.

8 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I'm on my way.

9:42 pm  
Blogger Alice said...

Now that you have text, unlike when I left my comment, it sounds like every other Spotlight Opening Sale. Still, it's a big improvement on the older shops, although they were fun to rummage through if you had the time and inclination.

Glad you have a greater range of reasonably(?) priced patchwork fabric than previously.

2:06 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

Love your new quilt. When are you going to learn to machine quilt?????

7:11 am  
Blogger Emma said...

Sounds like a successful day. I am thinking of going to Spotlight today. I need cushion stuffing, and I think I'll get a little bit of quilting fabric too. I am interested in learning to hand piece and quilt, and am slowly accumulating the fabric to do so.

Emma

7:32 am  
Blogger Lee said...

I give you credit for your patience, Tanya. Your quilting is great! My patience only allows me to pick up my paint brushes to splash paint around or flick my fingers over my keyboard!

I no longer sew. I have my sewing machine away years ago. It had forgotten what it was! I did, however, pick one up at the 'Op Shop' the other day for $5.00...electric and all! Still has its cover on it! ;)

11:03 am  
Blogger Val said...

Well done for perseverence (sp?). I would have turned back at the first sign of crowds. Must be a lot of people into sewing, quilting, etc up there.

Had to laugh at your amazement at a functioning trolley. The state of Australia's supermarket trolleys in the 1970s was a source of extreme frustration for me, although I later learnt to laugh about it.

12:47 pm  
Blogger ... Paige said...

Oh you lucky girl! I am so bad myself when it comes to fabric. I just keep buying it & have only made 1 baby quilt this year. (I have carpel tunnel in the wrists so it is hard to make hand stuff). I love seeing it, touching it & yes of course cutting it up & putting it back together.
Oh you lucky lucky girl!

7:39 am  
Blogger DellaB said...

That's the thing about spotlight stores, you cannot move and choose quickly, gotta look at everything and change your mind at least twice about purchases.

I'm off to check out the new site!

9:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home