06 September, 2006

Grrr to Germaine

Will Germaine Greer ever shut up?? I heard today that she had some unsavoury things to say about the Croc Hunter and his passing. Then I saw an interview with her tonight on tv where she came across as a bitter, ugly, old cow. And when I say ugly, I’m not talking about her appearance. Just now I found this article about her thoughts, highlighting her gross insensitivity. She has completely missed the point of what Steve Irwin stood for, and she’s misjudged his compassion and intelligence. And I, who once had a reasonable amount of respect for her, now just feel disgust. How dare she say these things at this time??

I have heard many personal stories about Steve Irwin and his family (the husband of a work colleague did a lot of research with Steve over the past year) and I was moved to realise that a lot of his work was groundbreaking research that was not done for the cameras. Did you know, for example, that Steve discovered a turtle (Elseya irwini) that lives in the Burdekin and breathes through it’s cloaca? Yep, a butt-breathing turtle!! Not sure how it does it, but it does. And he’s authored several scientific papers and put all his “Crocodile Hunter” earnings back into conservation. I guess what I’m trying to say is, “crawl back under your rock, Germaine Greer. No-one* wants to hear what you have to say.”

Which kind of makes me wonder why I put that link in there, but maybe it’s to get you as pissed off at her as I am.

*When I say no-one, I mean me. And when it comes to this blog, my opinion is all that matters.

9 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Couldn't agree more. I once had a humorous respect for Germaine, but that's over, big time.

SHE'S the one who's embarrassing us!

2:40 am  
Blogger Emma said...

I am also mad at her. I don't really care what her opinion of Steve Irwin is, this is not the time for her to be saying anything. It's cowardly to wait until the man is dead to start mouthing off about him. It's revolting and I am disgusted with her.

10:15 am  
Blogger Lee said...

I'm disgusted with Greer too...her comments are sproutings of an ignorant 'grumpy old woman', whose timing is way out of line. I'm not interested in hearing anything further from her lips.

7:42 pm  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Im also digusted with Germaine Greer She is a very spitefull and bitter woman. (overseas)to say What she did after steve passed away were he cant defend himself .
A very cowardly act just to get her face on the news

8:53 pm  
Blogger Val said...

I've thought for a while that she was on the nose, but what she's said recently defies belief. Almost makes me think she's got a mental health issue happening.

11:06 pm  
Blogger Val said...

As a Brit, reading it in a British online newspaper it didnt seem that bad - apart from the last sentence which was uncalled for.

Having Germaine live with us, an appear on a TV series called Grumpy Old Women, we take her rants with a pinch of salt.

I know someone who was in her classes at Warwick Uni recently, and she is respected when being sensible, but we all know she is a Miserable Old Cow and not characteristic of Ozzies in general.

4:40 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am really pissed off at the TV stations that felt they should air her opinion...why????....to really piss off so many already very upset people!!! The TV stations didn't need to interview her now at all!!! They are just as insensitive, if you ask me!!

7:36 am  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Germaine Greer is entitled to her opinions, but it was very insensitive of her to air them now, when we are all mourning his death. She only belittled herself...not Steve Irwin.

1:33 pm  
Blogger Kerri said...

I don't know her, but I'm sure I wouldn't like her if I did! Nasty old beast. She has the sensitivy of a redback spider and apparently the venom of a rattlesnake.

12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home