22 August, 2006

paint and flowers

I'm glad everyone liked the drawers. Or everyone who commented at least. If you didn't like the drawers, you can leave a comment too. I was a little wary about the colour (but hey, the drawers cost me $2 - I couldn't really lose, no matter what I did). The colour I was aiming for was a really deep blood red. So I bought Taubmans brand "red siren." But as I only wanted a sample pot, I got the salesman (with the Billy-Ray-Cyrus-mullet, but that's another story) to mix it in Wattyl paint because Wattyl have 500ml sample pots whereas Taubmans only give you 200ml pots and I thought I would need more than 200ml to cover the drawers several times over. Anyway, the colour didn't come out as deep as I wanted and in real life it's actually a very deep pink. Which does look fabulous in the right circumstances. But not with my red quilt. So I'm thinking of doing a "Jackson Pollock" to it - in darker colours. I might mix some dark brown with it to get the right colour. I'll show you the result.

In other news, Blogger has been driving me nuts lately, and WordPress is looking more and more attractive. Stay tuned and be prepared for a diversion in the future. Or not. I am just all talk at this stage.

And finally, a picture taken on my walk home from work this evening:

7 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Beautiful flower - I assume it's a callistemon? Lovely colour, would look good on your chest of drawers, if only they weren't deep pink.

You could take the rest of the paint back and get 'Billy Ray Cyrus' to mix it darker.

7:01 am  
Blogger heleen + rod said...

mmmm, beautiful flower, we only get these at x-mas! Nice to hear you read my blog.

10:19 am  
Blogger Val said...

A shame about the color, it looked glorious in the photo. The callistemon color would be good too. I love the way many Australian flowers have that little dot of color on the ends of each and every needle/petal. Like someone has come along a painted it on.

Waiting to hear the Billy Ray Cyrus story...

10:23 am  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I've never seen that kind of flower!! Is it only grown in Australia?? I too want to hear the "Billy Ray Cyrus" story so start talkin'!!!! lol

10:31 am  
Blogger Lee said...

Great pic! After reading your blog, I began to feel a little 'homesick' for the north! I lived in various parts of it for the 13 years prior to 1998. I then moved back down to south-east Queensland. Being a born and bred Qlder...I love all parts of our beautiful state...as I do all parts of our wonderful country. We have so much to see here in this land of ours.

3:40 pm  
Blogger DellaB said...

That is such a stunning colour, ain't nature wonderful!
:-)
Della

5:51 pm  
Blogger Kerri said...

Isn't that flower also called a bottlebrush? It's beautiful. I haven't seen one since I was over there in 2003. I miss the lovely Aussie native flowers. Great pic!

10:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home