23 August, 2006

I can grow stuff

This is the orchid that my mum gave to me as a graduation present a while back. It has been through some ups and downs - wet season, dry season, neglect season (inflicted by me and never ends - sort of like winter in Narnia but here it's more of a constant drought). I even had one stem come out of the pot so I just left it on the pumice stones in the pot to die, but it's still growing - with no support from any root system at all (those clever epiphytes!!). Makes me smile when I think of all those passionate orchid growers who have greenhouses and fertilizers and fume cupboards and lighting and heating techniques - and all my orchids need to thrive is abuse.

5 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Tanya, I was redirected here from your new domain name, so that's working.

That orchid certainly is hardy. Very unusual form too.

Don't forget there have been at least two requests for the Bill Ray Cyrus story.

9:09 pm  
Blogger Emma said...

Billy Ray Cyrus story? Make that three requests. I'm curious now!

Tanya, thanks for the offer on my lit. paper, it's in the mail ;)

Your orchid is lovely. I think I need to get a couple of them myself!

Emma

7:28 am  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

What a beautiful orchid!! Surprising how some flowers can substain itself.

2:32 pm  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Beautiful orchid!

5:12 am  
Blogger Kerri said...

You're much too honest Tanya...your mother is out there listening, you know? Or at least reading your blog :)
That's one tough orchid. Sure is a pretty thing for such a tuffy.

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home