14 September, 2006

SPOTLIGHT IS CLOSING DOWN!!!

This is such bad news. A friend has decided to make a baby quilt for her friend and she needs some expert assistance. Since she doesn't know any experts, she asked me to help. So last night I helped her work out a pattern and the amount of fabric she'd need. Tonight we headed for Spotlight after a game of tennis (that's another story) to find the store practically empty. All they had were empty shelves, bargain bins of junk - you know, picture frames with broken glass, table runners with lipstick stains on them and other useless crap that has been hidden on their back shelves since 1956. They also had ugly fabric - the evening fabric that no-one would ever want to wear, curtain material (kids designs only) and glass beads that were just yuck. Oh, and free quilting magazines - BARGAIN!! But my point is, THEY WERE CLOSING DOWN! They sure got away with that one - no closing down sale or anything. What will I do? I'll be buggered if I'm going to pay $30 for a metre of quilting fabric.

Good thing for me they're having a Grand Opening Sale starting Monday at their new premises - an old hardware store - think, the size of a couple of football fields. Yay!! But knowing Spotlight, that doesn't mean there will be two football fields worth of excellent crafting bargains. Oh no, it will be two football fields full of disorganisation, headaches and dirt. And maybe one or two crafting bargains.

7 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

I hope you are able to find another great place for fabric! Good luck with that,

I found your blog through Thursday Thirteen here is my TT list for today...

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/09/thirteen-things-i-can-do-to-save-world_14.html

2:47 am  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Ugh, don't you hate that when you come to go to a store you frequently go to and find out they're closing down? We don't have "Spotlight" here...hopefully their new store will be much better. Sounds like they lack managing skills!!

4:25 am  
Blogger Alice said...

You really had me worried there for a paragraph. So pleased they are re-opening and hopefully, bigger and better.

There's talk of one opening on this side of town, but don't know where or when.

Shame that there's no Hobbysew up there. They have good materials, reasonably priced, plus members' discounts.

4:31 am  
Blogger Alice said...

I forgot to add that your friend DID find an expert, and a very helpful one at that.

4:33 am  
Blogger Emma said...

You just gave me a heart attack!! I am sure you'll enjoy the new bigger Spotlight.

Emma

7:45 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh you are funny!!! At least a football field worth of crappy sheets and towels and the rest will be disorganised chaos!!!!

5:58 pm  
Blogger Val said...

Last week I ventured into Spotlight again for the first time in months. I had been boycotting them because they treat their staff so badly (taking advantage of the new IR laws). But I don't think I'll be tempted to go there again. The service and environment were just too awful. Strangely enough, the original, smaller store was much better organised. Hope the reverse is true for you, Tanya.

6:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home