13 July, 2006

Thursday Thirteen just rolls around so fast... Today's theme is thirteen things I discussed with my boss on the trip to Ayr (1 hour) and back (1.5 hours - we had to stop at the home of a farmer/irrigator/ concerned citizen/man who grows coriander and gave me a heap of it to take home today, yum!). Note that making small talk with my boss filled me with trepidation this morning when he picked me up.

  1. His new boat, which he has anchored in the river close to my house (we had to swing by there and check it was still safe). He's close to retiring and is buying lots of toys.
  2. The weather. Sigh. But it has been raining here, and it's winter!! For those who don't realise, we don't really have summer and winter here, we have wet season and dry season. The wet season came late and we're now supposed to be in the middle of the dry season .
  3. What we were going to do once we arrived at the meeting.
  4. His new phone, which he got yesterday and doesn't know how to use. I tried to put it on hands-free for him for the car. I clearly don't know how to use it either because hands-free wouldn't work and I had to play secretary as we drove down (driving and talking on a mobile phone is illegal here).
  5. The sugar cane (it's harvesting time).
  6. Whether the rain would be a problem for harvesting (it's not - as we drove past the mill there was an amazing number of cane train carriages full of cane waiting to be processed and the mill was billowing smoke and steam).
  7. Water levels in the creeks and rivers (water IS our job).
  8. Lychees, longans, avocadoes, mangoes and other related tropical fruits.
  9. Coriander - his distaste for it, my love of it. And all the regions of the world that use copious amounts of it (we identified Mexico, Thailand and India). He decided that India is now another place that he can't visit because of the coriander issue. BTW, coriander is what some northerners (Americans) call cilantro.
  10. The stench (to him) / aroma (to me) of the coriander filling the car.
  11. The stench (to both of us) of the dead kangaroo we passed on the side of the road.
  12. A mutual friend who has cancer. He had to tell doctors for a year that he was ill before anyone would believe him and run the tests to identify what was wrong.
  13. The near accident we were in when a kid sped through an intersection where he was supposed to give us the right of way. It was a close call.

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, please use the auto-link. And comments are always much appreciated. Only if you leave a comment will I visit your Thirteen and leave a comment in return....


12 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

eeewwww, dead kangaroo!!!!
sounds like scintillating conversation.
my tt is up

5:00 pm  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Those were lots of things to talk about. At least he had someone to talk to.
Thanks for dropping by.

8:21 pm  
Blogger Carmen said...

glad you're ok from your close call. I can't imagine having to have a long convo like that with my boss. :)

12:00 am  
Blogger Shalee said...

The trepidation seems to have passed and you were able to discuss many different things. (I can't imagine not going somewhere because of the use of a certain spice!)

At least you made it throught the day, despite the near accident. (Stupid kid!)

12:14 am  
Blogger Lyn said...

I lived in Brisbane for a year in 1981. Great country up there! Thanks for visiting FBO and my T13 - Bible Misquotes Edition.

12:53 am  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Hey, I've missed you. Some list of topic...all safe!

1:17 am  
Blogger Alice said...

Hey, it's not fair. You talked to your boss more than you ever talked to me....lol.

5:54 am  
Blogger YellowRose said...

All safe, easy topics. Always best when talking to the boss. Good job! Glad you out ok on that close call!!!

Happy Thursday!

7:45 am  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

It sounds like you and your boss found plenty of things to discuss along the way.

I also can't imagine not traveling to a certain country just because they use cilantro.

7:47 am  
Blogger Lisa said...

I would never have been able to make the trip with my boss! I would have had the same reaction with the kangaroo, and I never knew what coriander was until I was fixing a recipe that called for it! Thanks for sharing.

7:55 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the smell of fresh cilantro, and putting coriander in my chicken Enchiladas.
That's good that you and your boss had a good safe trip!
Have a great Thursday!

12:27 pm  
Blogger Val said...

I think you did a great job with those topics, Tanya. But gee, stench of coriander?? And not going to a country because...?? But he's got some redeeming features - didn't he send you that hilarious website on "public service symbols for terrorism readiness"? I looked it up again a couple of days ago, started laughing, and put a link to it in my list of blogs I read.

And spare a thought for the car that hit the kangaroo. That is scary and does major damage to the car. We've hit two while driving at very low speed - we were anticipating roos in the area but the damn things AIM for the car! In both cases they hopped off into the bush again, as if nothing had happened. Our car is still showing the effects.

12:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home