14 June, 2006

THURSDAY THIRTEEN

I'd like to put in a fancy title, but Blogger is REALLY making me mad now. I managed to load up thirteen photos, but do you think I can load up the title photo? Of course not. So instead, I give you a long-winded rant about why you have no super-cool TT title. Okay. Rant is over


If you were hoping for the Thursday Thirteen of last week - you know, the phenomenal, change the world, never to be able to live without, seminal and moving Thursday Thirteen that I couldn't load because Blogger was being, well, Blogger - then I'm really sorry to disappoint you. You see, I WAS LYING! Blogger was being a bastard, but I used that as an excuse to not have to sit down and think of said groundbreaking TT for a while. And by the time I was ready to load up it was already Friday (how did that happen??). Anyway, I am now back and refreshed, especially after the long weekend (Queen's birthday holiday was Monday) and have produced, if not a world first, at least a pictoral Thursday Thirteen. This week I present-

Thirteen things hanging from my walls (and ceiling, in the case of #12)




1. A mask that I bought in Swaziland last century (mid 1999). I almost didn't get it into the country (Australia has super-strict quarantine laws). This is hanging in my lounge room.







2. A painting done by my sister. This is actually one in a series of three. It's pretty small - postcard size - and hangs with the other two near the front door.





3. A mirror I bought from a second hand junk sale at university a few years ago. I'm impressed that this shot didn't have glare from the flash in it. I'm not impressed that the reflection is of the ugly air conditioner on the other side of the lounge room.








4. A cork/tile thing that a friend brought back from Portugal for me. I'm not too sure what it's for, but it hangs in my kitchen.







5. A photo hanging in the bathroom. Apologies for the flash in the middle (or could it be a ghost....?). This was taken in Mossman, far north Queensland. I went to Cairns to see a Jack Johnson, Xavier Rudd concert and detoured with a few friends to this gorgeous part of Mossman River. The water was icy cold, but it was the middle of the hot summer - lovely.






6. A calendar full of recipes of Mexican food. This month is Fruit Filled Chimichangas. Do you think I've made any of these recipes?? (The answer is no).







7. My artwork (ahem...). This is hanging in the bathroom. I have recently changed the colours in there from orange (ahem, again) to purples and whites. Which is why the turtle I bought for Luca (see earlier post) is white - I couldn't have a blue or red turtle ruining the colour coordination!!


8. Another photo of a photo (and another apology about the flash). This is Hinchinbrook Island - very close to the mainland, but very secluded because there is only one resort on the island and the rest is national park. It is crazily expensive to get there. But stunning. Many people go there to walk the Thorsburn Trail - it takes 3-5 days and is fantastic, I hear. Apart from the rats that will eat your food if you don't string it off the ground at night!




9. My nieces and nephew. In the spare bedroom. Such gorgeous pictures (such gorgeous kids). And look, no flash glare!!







10. My hairdryer. Well, it IS hanging on the wall. In the bathroom. Actually close to the sink. Very close to the sink. Maybe I should read that warning tag.






11. My artwork. Again. I wonder if this would be worth anything after I'm gone. Nah, I don't think so either. This is actually not quite so blue. It's hanging in the spare room and is part of the purple theme I've got going in there. Not that I like purple or anything.







12. A mobile I made. It also hangs in the spare room. My friend saw this and liked it so I made her a similar one for the new baby. Apparently he likes it, too.






13. Yes, the spare room again. And a clock I bought for 99c off eBay. Postage cost me $4!! I haven't changed the battery in a while so it's been 11:45 for a week or two now.






The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, please use the auto-link. And comments are always much appreciated. Only if you leave a comment will I visit your Thirteen and leave a comment in return....


37 Comments:

Blogger ... Paige said...

Nice TT. I have found that if I stand just slightly at an angle to the object I'm shooting I don't get much glare if any from the flash. But ya always have to check the reflection. Seems like there is always one of those.
The art work is great & yes please read that little tag on the blow dryer.

3:58 am  
Blogger Wenchy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:18 am  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Wenchy said...
I am participating for the first time this week and I must say I am loving it so far.

I love the pics of the kids and your artwork in the bathroom.

:o)

Wenchy
www.thenocturnalwench.com

7:18 am  
Blogger Christina said...

Very creative TT idea! Might want to be careful with that hair dryer :) I like the cork wall hanging from portugal and the recipe calendar, which is, of course, making me hungry!

Christina

7:31 am  
Blogger Natsthename said...

I love the mobile! That's really clever. Did you do all of that origami?

Awesome 13 this week!

8:56 am  
Blogger Alice said...

Your photo is on MY wall, so where is mine on yours? Hopefully, just where is should be --- hidden.

Lovely TT - feels like I can share your home a little more. I promise, I will get there one day.

9:05 am  
Blogger Mama Kelly said...

i love the mobile!!!

are those origami cranes???

10:52 am  
Blogger Fida said...

Lovely artwork

Wish it's hangin on my wall

My T13's up!!

12:31 pm  
Blogger Just Nancy said...

Interesting insight into your life and great artwork!

My TT is up, too.

12:50 pm  
Blogger Margaret said...

Nice artwork and I do the hair dryer thing also. It's just too bulky to put away in the drawer and I use it so often. Great list. -Margie

12:56 pm  
Blogger Janet said...

Love the cranes in #12!

1:01 pm  
Blogger WendyWings said...

My mother made a thousand of those cranes once. Crazy woman lol.
Happy TT day.

1:15 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very Beautiful artwork! I like the pic of the Mossman river. And those cranes are such lovely colors!
Happy TT!

1:29 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have great stuff hanging up in your house. I love your TT this week. ;)


Mine is up. I have been having that problem to of waiting to long. LOL

1:35 pm  
Blogger Tracie Nall said...

I love this list--in reference to #10-I have to admit that my hairdryer is hanging up right niext to my sink on a little hook too! (warning tag--what warning tag? You can't mean that thing that says to keep away from water? They don't really mean that, do they?)

3:10 pm  
Blogger the lizness said...

I was going to say that's what you get for lying (lol) but how I managed to load photos recently when blogger seems to have reached it's limit is to just create a new post, upload the photo, then copy the html from that post to the post you are working on. Or you could just use photobucket.com to host your pictures.

3:26 pm  
Blogger Laura said...

i LOVE that mirror!!!
can I have it?
what a find.
my tt is up.

3:35 pm  
Blogger Aginoth said...

What a\ great idea for a TT...must do that myself sometime..
LOL at the hairdrier :o)

8:26 pm  
Blogger Carmen said...

I like your photos - I use my photos for decoration, too. Why is the one nephew's picture sideways? :) Were you being artsy, or did he do something to make you mad. Ha.

9:09 pm  
Blogger Wystful1 said...

#1 is really cool!!

My Thurs 13 is posted

11:01 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

I like the mobile too and the mask from Swaziland is phenomenal!

11:08 pm  
Blogger Changed by His Love said...

awesome idea for a TT!
Thanks for sharing.
That calendar of mexican food sounds good, even if you haven't cooked a meal from it. :)
My TT is up!

11:14 pm  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Ahhh...I love your earth shattering photos and art work! I think you need to work on your rants thought (tee hee!)

11:40 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

Ohh interesting things, I think my favorite was the first one!

12:58 am  
Blogger Geggie said...

I love the mobile! Nice work!

2:25 am  
Blogger Noi Rocker said...

Wow..you paint? Its gerat! I have always wanted to paint. Your walls must be full!

Happy Thursday!

2:26 am  
Blogger Kelly said...

Love the mask (I have two from Hawaii and Japan) and the mobile!
Very cool art!!!!

Happy Thursday!

5:27 am  
Blogger Jen said...

Ooh, you have a lot of neat stuff! I never make the recipes from my recipe calendars, either. I always intend to, though!

My T13 is up!

7:18 am  
Blogger Tracy S said...

wow fruit chimi's sound very interesting. I may have to look into that. Maybe google it..lol
I love the mobile.. Very cool/ creative idea.

7:54 am  
Blogger YellowRose said...

I love the mobile, origami is so beautiful! Nice TT!

Happy Thursday, my TT is up!

8:32 am  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Very nice TT. I just love them because they are always so personal and we get to learn alot about you. You are so artistic & talented, along with your sister.

A little suggestion about the glare. TURN OFF THE FLASH and stand a little to the side. I have found this workS for me.

9:53 am  
Blogger Angie said...

Very cool idea for a TT. :)

I like your artwork.My hair dryer is hanging on the wall, too. Just not in the bathroom.

12:29 pm  
Blogger Val said...

I love the cork / tile hanging from Portugal. I think another use might be as a trivet to put hot pots on, to protect bench surfaces??

12:27 pm  
Blogger eph2810 said...

I really like the mirror. I like 'junk' like that.
Not so sure about fruit-filled chimmies though...I like mine with chicken :).

Congrats on your silver medal - it is ready for 'pick-up' at My Lighter Side. Thank you for playing along

3:46 pm  
Blogger WendyAs said...

Cool Finds! Where did you get them all?

9:11 pm  
Blogger Kerri said...

I enjoyed seeing 'inside' your house a little. Very neat photos and paintings. Love the mask and especially the photos of the kids. They're adorable children. Hope you're having fun with them now...or soon will be!
Yes, do read the label on the hair dryer :)

5:02 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the ones you made yourself best! I stopped by to say thanks for playing in the Blog Olympics Training Camp!

12:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home