04 June, 2006

My visitors

Kerri has been posting some amazing pictures of her New York springtime, with many stunning shots of hummingbirds. I mentioned we had something similar in the sunbird and here they are. The first two pictures are actually the first ones I ever took with my camera. A pair of sunbirds regularly visit my front garden and this day the male was very obliging and let me take these shots. Neither he nor his partner have been that friendly since, and will visit the garden and stay until they see the camera - then they're off.


These photographs I got off the web - http://www.birdway.com.au. The one below is the female. The male has a brilliant blue throat that sparkles in the right light.

They're a bit bigger than a hummingbird, and don't hover for as long. They nest around people's homes, with the nest hanging from tree branches - or even a piece of dangling string! And they build about seven nests - six are decoys and one will have the eggs in it. Seems like a lot of effort to me. Or maybe that's just the avian version of affluence - they have one main home and six holiday homes....?

11 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

I'm sorry this has nothing to do with the posts with the pictures of birds.
I just noticed we have similar blog names! (The Purple Giraffe and the Hot Pink Giraffe)
And I thought that was very cool.
Thats all.
Kristi

2:21 pm  
Blogger Kerri said...

Wow Tanya, you must've been so pleased to get those pictures right off the bat with the first use of your camera! It's too bad the birds haven't been as cooperative since. What a beautiful bird! Love the colors!
The little hummingbirds were in the mood for love today :) Two males were fighting over a female, and the 'winner' (I'm assuming) did his little display (arcing in front of her), and then....well, need I say more? Am I supposed to write about this stuff? Hmmm....
Thanks for visiting. I'm always happy to 'see' you. How's the wee babe?

2:23 pm  
Blogger Tanya said...

Kerri- Kai is doing alright. Has another ultrasound in a week to see if the hip dysplasia has improved and he can have his harness taken off. He has a hideous heat/hormone/something else rash. Doesn't sleep much at all... But he IS doing alright. And is getting huge. And is gorgeous :)

4:14 pm  
Blogger Mom2fur said...

Hi, from Long Island, NY. Oh, those birds are gorgeous! You take really beautiful pictures! I love that they make 'decoy' nests. There seems to be some clever thoughts in those little bird brains!

9:51 pm  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Those are really beautiful birds and what great joy to get a new camera and take such lovely pictures right off the bat. It took me two years to just get to know my camera :( and it's not a complicated one either. *LOL*

How about those pretty little birds building so many homes...Do you think that they just want to have the PERFECT nest for their babies? They must have a lot of preditors to worry about.

10:57 am  
Blogger MaR said...

They are wonderful! some birds wake me up at around 5:30 am and I wish I knew who they are...they sing beautifully but I wish I could tell them to wait until 8 am... don't they know school is out for the summer??

7:18 am  
Blogger ... Paige said...

The pictures are not showing up for me. I love humminbirds & even wrote a poem about one. Now I feel jealous. {turns and pouts off}

8:03 am  
Blogger WendyAs said...

Great pictures Tanya. What kinda camera did you say you had?

7:29 pm  
Blogger Tanya said...

Wendy- it's a Konica Minolta Dimage Z6 (I think). I got it because it's good for both zoom and macro shots. Though it's getting pretty temperamental when it comes to macro and I'd much rather a digital SLR. So one day, when I happen to find 2 or 3 grand lying on the street, that will be my next purchase...

8:50 pm  
Blogger Tanya said...

Paige - the sunbird is now on flickr, just for you :)

9:22 pm  
Blogger ... Paige said...

Wow Tanya, they are very pretty. Yes a bit bigger then humming birds but hafta be close cousins.

10:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home