05 February, 2006

Town Common

Today I drove out to the town common. This is a huge wetland not too far from the airport. Strange, though. I had always thought that aeroplanes and birds didn't get along. So to build an airport near a wetland or, more to the point, encourage birds to live there, just seems typically, well, Queenslandish to me. Anyway, this was the first time I had been there, and it's stunning. Mind you, the swooping plovers, the mosquitoes from hell and mutant grasshoppers seem to love it too. I was walking along a track to take this picture when a group/bunch/herd/whatever-you-call-several-toadlets crossed my path. I tried to take a picture, but that was when the mozzies decided to feed. On me. They were about three centimetres long (back to the toadlets now, not the mosquitoes) and were really cute. Actually, I couldn't tell if they were frogs or toads. If they were frogs then yes, they were cute. If they were toads then they were cane toads and so, definitely NOT cute. Cane toads rate among my least favourite animal. I have a sad feeling that they were cane toads. I took a billion more pictures, but far be it for me to bore anyone with many photos of the same thing-!!

After this little jaunt, I actually washed my car. And it was fun. I never thought I'd say that. I went to the superwash place where you pay money and STILL have to wash the car yourself. What was I thinking?? But they have water on high pressure and the same with the soap. And it's so quick and easy. And they recycle their water so I don't feel guilty using so much of it. Though I don't really get how they can reuse the water that would be full of car grease and all, without actually treating it.... Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Kerri said...

I sure would love to see the cane toads :) Pretty pic of the ducks. Looks like a nice place to while away the hours. Did Kylie visit you? I must've been sleeping when Blogger was being bad. Lucky! I should be there now doing a post. But I'm here instead. Enjoyed all your posts :)
Your mom's new blogging corner is really great!

9:15 am  
Blogger Tanya said...

I was trying to focus on the cane toads when the mutant mozzies started attacking. I was too busy swatting to hold the camera still. So, alas, there are no cane toad pics. Of cute cane toads, I mean. I could go out into the street now and take a thousand pictures of cane toad roadkill, if you like :)

7:39 pm  
Blogger Kerri said...

No Thank you :)

12:48 am  
Blogger WendyAs said...

I'd love to see a cane toad. Do you know if they have them in Tassie.

5:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home