27 September, 2005

Diving on the reef...


Another filler - this time I'm scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef with a friend (I'm the one NOT wearing the shirt around my head!!). We're actually drilling coral recruitment plates into the patches of dead coral to find out what coral species are settling and possibly dominating that area. The tank that is floating is supplying air to the drill we used to hold the recruitment plates in place. When it gets low on air it gets lighter and if you let go of the drill you have to go swim for it! All we had to do was the manual work - someone else does all the technical stuff in the lab. I think my (voluntary) role is more fun. Ah, the joys of living by the Great Barrier Reef - and having many friends who are completing their PhD's in marine science - means I get to go on many free dive trips!! I just wish I could do more of it. But now that I'm a working girl (in the cleanest sense of the word!!), I don't have much time to help out mates on the reef. This was taken a while ago (last year) but as I've harped on about quite often, I don't yet have my own camera so can't take any current pictures. Soon, soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Sorry, I still can't work out who is wearing the shirt in the wrong place!! Actually, I think you are in the dark wetsuit - am I right? Is it a bit much to expect a mother to recognise her daughter 50 metres under the water?

8:12 pm  
Blogger Tanya said...

Yes, mother. Stefan is facing the camera and I am in the wetsuit with the bright yellow fins. What do you mean you can't recognise me???

8:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home